2010 Field Book “Syrah”
In our continued quest to challenge and educate ourselves in all things vinous, Spottswoode is very excited to introduce our 2010 Field Book. This Syrah is from Griffin’s Lair Vineyard, which is situated on a windswept hill in the Petaluma Gap. Joan and Jim Griffin, founders and owners of this 22-acre vineyard, are two of the most committed and passionate growers we have ever worked with. We share their values, and like us, they live on their land and farm with great sensitivity and intuition. We are thrilled to be working in collaboration with the Griffins.
The defining factor of Griffin’s Lair Vineyard is the west wind that screams inland from the Pacific through the Petaluma Gap in the late afternoon. Buffeted by wind, the vines achieve only moderate growth and produce small clusters of berries with intense flavors. Field Book 2010 shows this great intensity with classic Syrah aromas of smoked meat and graphite, followed by a beautiful focused palate that offers a dense fruit core of cherries jubilee and blackberry pie accentuated by vanilla, violets, toasted bread, and dried herbs.
- August 1, 2012
- 137 cases of 750 ml.
- Griffin’s Lair Vineyard, Sonoma Coast
- Aged 16 months
- 100% French Oak
- (50% new barrels)
- 100% Syrah
- $45 per 750 ml. bottle
- 100% Sonoma Coast
- Spottswoode Estate Vineyard & Winery Overview
- Growing a Family Wine Estate
- Spottswoode Estate Vineyard from a Bird’s Eye View
- Spottswoode Estate Vineyard & Winery Background
- 2010 Spottswoode Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2009 Spottswoode Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2012 Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc
- 2011 Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc
- 2011 Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2011 Field Book “Syrah”
- 2010 Field Book “Syrah”